This class will address the best practices around board meetings and making decisions as a group using Robert’s Rules of Order and other meeting tools. Robert’s Rules of Order is the guide preferred by most professional parliamentarians for being fair and complete.
An effective meeting keeps members engaged and helps organizations make better and more informed decisions. The class will cover what the role of the board chair is and what the role of the board member is when conducting business meetings using Robert’s Rules of Order and following parliamentary procedures. Techniques such as the order of business, handling of a motion, amending a motion, and other fundamentals will be covered. There will be some role play and hands on exercises to reinforce best practices.
- Understand what Robert’s Rules of Order is and why organizations use it
- Understand the basics of Robert’s Rules of Order
- Understand how Robert’s Rules of Order help ensure an effective meeting
- Understand how an organization’s bylaws work in relation to Robert’s Rules of Order
- Understand the role of the presiding officer (board chair) when using Robert’s Rules of Order
- Understand the roles of the members (board members) when using Robert’s Rules of Order
- Understand how to write an agenda for your business meeting
- Understanding the role of the quorum
- Understand how to handle a motion
- Understand when and how to refer a motion
- Understand voting methods
- Understand how to adjourn a meeting
- Practice using the 7 fundamental motions of Robert’s Rules of Order
- Understand other meeting tools