This class will address the best practices around non-profit by-laws, policies, and procedures. It will include an explanation of the differences in by-laws, policies, and procedures, as well as the benefits of having each of them. The class will also cover legal and compliance issues, oversight and accountability, and good governance policies. Participants will walk away with samples, handouts and will also participate in hands-on and group work around these topics.
- Gain a clear understanding of board responsibilities.
- Understand the differences between by-laws, policies, and procedures.
- Learn how to conduct a by-laws review.
- Review sample by-laws.
- Learn how to develop good versus bad policies. What policies are required?
- Review policy samples and policy writing guidelines.
- Understand legal and compliance issues.
- What constitutes an abuse of power by the Board of Directors?
- What is involved in Board oversight and accountability?
- What are examples of good governance policies?