This two-day capacity building training provides an in-depth look into the elements that lead to enhanced organizational effectiveness. The purpose of the training is to develop participants’ ability to enhance their organization’s efforts and achieve greater impact. Capacity building (or capacity development) is the process by which individuals and organizations obtain, improve, and retain the skills, knowledge, tools, equipment, and other resources needed to be more effective. The training focuses on elements of capacity such as board development, internal infrastructure, fundraising, evaluation and leadership development. The interactive, hands-on training provides information, tools and resources enabling organizations to a) assess the key elements of capacity building, b) identify which aspects of capacity need to be addressed, c) develop strategies to address specific elements and d) create plans to build capacity. The training also provides ample opportunity for networking and sharing ideas and experiences among participants.
Participants will be able to:
- Describe why building capacity is important to achieving and sustaining long- term community-level changes
- Assess the key elements of their capacity building including board governance, leadership, and infrastructure
- Identify which aspects of capacity need to be addressed by their organization
- Develop strategies to address specific elements
- Create action plans to assess and build capacity