This class will address the best practices around board succession planning. Board succession planning is essential to good governance because having the right board ensures high board engagement and performance, as well as successful leadership. This workshop will cover recruitment, nomination, and orientation of board members and practices around this. We will outline the roles of the board officers and committee chairs and how to train potential board members to take on these roles. We will also cover individual and board performance assessment to ensure accountability of board members and board leadership. Participants will walk away with samples, handouts and will also participate in hands-on and group work around these topics.
**Amy Nisenson is a Certified Governance Trainer through Board Source. She is not a lawyer and materials covered in the class do not constitute legal advice
- Gain a clear understanding of board responsibilities.
- Understand what is involved in board recruitment, nomination, and orientation.
- Documents necessary to have in place for successful board recruitment.
- Descriptions for board officers and committee chairs.
- Putting together a board member skills and interest survey.
- Develop a succession grid.
- Why is it important to have committees and what are some of the key committees to have?
- Why are term limits and important.
- How to write and implement a board development plan.
- How to remove a board member?
- No one wants to be the board chair—what do we do?
- What are examples of good governance policies?