***ORIENTATION - SHEET METAL LEVEL 1; MARINE TRADE TRAINING IS AN INVITE ONLY CLASS.***
***PLEASE BE ADVISED THAT REFUNDS FOR ALL $250 STUDENT TUITION PAYMENTS MAY TAKE UP TO 45 DAYS TO BE SENT VIA PHYSICAL CHECK TO YOUR MAILING ADDRESS INPUT DURING CLASS REGISTRATION.***
***ALL STUDENTS WHO WERE NOT INVITED VIA EMAIL WITH THE HYPERLINK TO THIS CLASS, WILL BE WITHDRAWN FROM THE CLASS IMMEDIATELY TO BEGIN REFUND PROCESSING***
Each student in the course is required to complete the orientation process in-person and provide a $250 payment at the TCC Skilled Trades Academy: 3303 Airline Blvd, Suite 6-A, Portsmouth, VA 23701 to secure their slot in the training.
During this on-boarding process, you will be 1) Completing registration for the class, 2) Posing any questions, and 3) Making the $250 payment (if paying by Money Order Only).
Please bring your Driver’s License or State Issued ID with you to the orientation
1. TCC Workforce Solutions accepts all major debit/credit cards, EXCEPT American Express.
2. Workforce Solutions is unable to accept cash payments at this time.
3. If paying by money order, please make payable to: TCC Workforce Solutions.
COURSE INFORMATION BELOW:
This training was developed to provide sheet metal workers with the initial mastery of pre-hire foundational marine sheet metal skills, and with knowledge of and the work practices and behaviors required for First-Time Quality marine sheet metal work. A successful “pass” score in this course demonstrates the student is a qualified applicant for a sheet metal job in the ship construction and repair industry.
Upon the completion of this course the students will:
• Become familiar with ship terminology and compartmentation;
• Learn and practice the nine foundational marine sheet metal skills;
• Gain repeated familiarity and confidence with measurement and calculating proper layout;
• Gain an initial skill level with both the hand and power tools used in marine sheet metal work;
• Learn to use simple job aids that can be taken to the job after the training is complete;
• Apply basic safety and ergonomic work practices; and
• Comply with applicable marine, sheet metal, and regulatory procedures.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT ORIENTATION:
1. Do I need to wear classroom appropriate attire to the orientation?
ANSWER: No, classroom appropriate attire is not a requirement for orientation.
2. What are the classroom attire requirements (starting on Day 1 of training)
- Cotton long or short sleeved shirt made from a nature fiber material.
- Cotton long heavy pants (i.e. jeans) made from a natural fiber material.
- 8” Leather, hard soled, steel-toed boots, composite-toed boots
- Safety glasses/goggles will be provided
- Safety Hat will be provided
- TENNIS SHOES OR ATHLETIC ATTIRE
- NO NO EXTERNAL JEWELRY (i.e. rings, bracelets, earrings or necklaces)
3. I was told I'd be attending a class at a different community college, what should I do?
ANSWER: VSRA provides the list of students to TCC, and there are no substutions/transfers to other community colleges at this time.
4. I'll have the money the Friday before the class begins, is there anything we can do?
ANSWER: Student tuition payment of $250 is required to be submitted by COB on the date of orientation. Failure to provide a tuition payment prevents a student from participating in the scheduled training session.
5. I don't have a debit card/credit card/check card, how can i register for the orientation?
ANSWER: Reply to the email notifying you of the orientation class and alert that individual that you will be in attendance and will have a $250 money order made out to "TCC WORKFORCE SOLUTIONS" in hand once arrived.
6. Will I get paid for my time during the training program?
ANSWER: Parcipating students will not be paid for participating in the 3-Week VSRA sponsored, Marine Trades Training Program.